Wednesday, April 23, 2008

SPT

I have been checking out Lelly's SPT challenges for a while now, but I have never really posted...It is usually a few weeks after the fact that I even think of something. So here I am just one day late...not bad.

if this is your first earth day spt, do you consider yourself a part of "the green generation?"

I do consider myself part of the green generation. I feel that I am a pretty good recycler. We have one bin for paper and another for cans, glass & plastic bottles. We have always had weekly curb side recycling by the city.... such a huge help! And they have greatly increased the items accepted in the past few years. This is our paper bin after one week...I put everything in it...newspaper, cardboard, any packaging, cereal boxes, junk mail, catalogs, magazine,etc.

I am getting better reusing my shopping bags....I only seem to remember when I go to Trader Joe's and I grab my cooler bag from there...but I never remember when I pop into Super Target or Harris Teeter....so I am making that a goal. I will use the paper bags I have from Trader Joe's and Whole Foods until they wear out...and then pick up a few more cute reusable ones!


I have seen several of the Oprah shows lately on wasting, and the earth day special yesterday with Julia Roberts. I feel at times like the message of these programs is speaking directly to me....stop using so much plastic, read labels, cut the chemical use in your home, buy more organic, do you know what you are feeding your children???...I have all this information (misinformation???) spinning in my head, and I need to figure out what is best for our family. The issue of BPA in plastic is weighing on me right now...I have read some, but done nothing...I have A LOt of plastic cups, etc in this house....where do I begin and what do I replace it with??? I will struggle with this until I figure something out.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

welcome to spt!! i hope you'll keep joining in the fun.

there is so much information out there!! so much!! it can be totally overwhelming, i know. i choose to focus on small things, small changes i can make. sounds like you are doing a great job!

Bren's Life said...

Welcome to spt! It's so much fun to do this. Lelly comes up with the greatest ideas. You'll love it!

Way to go on recycling..

Linda said...

Yes, welcome to SPT! It's alot of fun and you'll meet so many nice people by joining in.

It looks like you're doing a great job with your "green" efforts! I could be doing more...and hopefully I will after all of these good suggestions.

Rae said...

I have not heard of "spt". I'm going to have to check it out next! I am so jealous that you have a Super Target!! I know that was not the point of this post but I can't help but to share that!!

Alisa said...

Welcome to the fun of SPT-
keep up with "going green"- every little bit counts...
(I just copied the recipe from your post below- mmm I will make that next week!)

kelly said...

i'm going to be checking spt out too. i've seen lots of posts, but haven't checked it out for myself. thanks for the link.